- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine, 1978; Endocrinology, 1995
- Research Interests:
Insulin action on the vasculature and how it is affected by insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and diabetes.
- Clinical Practice:
- Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, Hyperparathyroidism (Overactive Parathyroid), Hyponatremia, Hypoparathyroidism, Addison's Disease - Child, Pheochromocytoma - Child, Diabetes and Metabolism, Pediatric Diabetes and Metabolism Disorders
Director, Diabetes Center; Associate Chair for Research
- Professor of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Dr. Barrett has been involved in the care of patients with diabetes for more than 30 years. This has included his clinical practice, an active research program that has been funded by the NIH for three decades and deals with multiple aspects of diabetes, and volunteering with the American Diabetes Association and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. His particular interest in diabetes relates to interventions that prevent or limit vascular complications of diabetes.
- 2011-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- Past president, American Diabetes Association
- University of Rochester, 1975
- Medicine, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY
- Endocrinology and Metabolism, Yale University