- ABMS Certification:
- Pediatrics; Pediatric Nephrology
- Research Interests:
Hypertension, lipids, transplantation
- Clinical Practice:
- Glomerulonephritis, Hydronephrosis, Lasix Renal Scan- Pediatric, Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD), Vesicoureteral Reflux (VUR), Kidney Disease, Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome- Pediatric, Horseshoe Kidney- Pediatric, Polycystic Kidney Disease- Pediatric, Diabetes Insipidus- Pediatric, Renal Failure- Pediatric, Nephrotic Syndrome- Pediatric, Kidney Transplant- Pediatric, Pediatric Kidney Care, Pediatric Glomerulonephritis, Pediatric Transplant
- Associate Professor
John Barcia, MD, is a board-certified pediatric nephrologist specializing in caring for children with kidney disorders, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, medical bone disease and more. His prime clinical interest is pediatric kidney transplantation. He sees patients at the UVA Battle Building, as well as UVA Pediatrics Specialty Care Winchester and UVA Pediatrics Culpeper.
Raised in Hawaii, Barcia was inspired to enter the field of medicine by his dad, a surgeon in the Army. He attended St. Louis University for his undergraduate and medical school education and stayed on there for his pediatric residency. Barcia then completed a fellowship in pediatric nephrology at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center in Ohio. Before joining the UVA faculty in 2001, he was an attending physician in pediatric nephrology at Northwest Pediatric Kidney Specialists and Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland.
In his free time, Barcia enjoys spending time with his wife and five children and watching UVA sports, especially basketball and soccer.
- 2011-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- St. Louis University, 1990
- Pediatrics, St. Louis University
- Nephrology, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center