- ABMS Certification:
- Pediatrics; Pediatric Nephrology
- Research Interests:
Hypertension, lipids, transplantation
- Clinical Practice:
- Glomerulonephritis, Hydronephrosis, Lasix Renal Scan-child, Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD), Vesicoureteral Reflux (VUR), Kidney Disease, Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome-Child, Horseshoe Kidney-Child, Polycystic Kidney Disease-Child, Diabetes Insipidus-Child, Renal Failure-Child, Nephrotic Syndrome-Child, Kidney Transplant - child, Pediatric Kidney Care, Pediatric Glomerulonephritis, Pediatric Transplant
- Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics
John Barcia, MD, is a pediatric nephrologist at UVA and directs the pediatric nephrology outpatient clinics in Winchester and Culpeper. His research focuses on vitamin E and kidney diseases, hypertension and transplants.
Dr. Barcia attended St. Louis University for his undergraduate and medical school education, and stayed on there for his pediatrics residency. He then completed a fellowship in pediatric nephrology at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center in Ohio. Before joining UVA, he was an attending physician in pediatric nephrology at Northwest Pediatric Kidney Specialists and Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland, Oregon.
In 2001, Dr. Barcia joined UVA as an assistant professor of pediatrics and was promoted to associate professor in 2009. From 2003-2006, he also served as medical director of the Children’s Fitness Clinic.
- 2011-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- St. Louis University, 1990
- Pediatrics, St. Louis University
- Nephrology, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center