- ABMS Certification:
- American Board of Pediatrics
- Research Interests:
Smoking Cessation, Lyme Disease, Anaphylaxis/Asthma, Improving Immunization Rates, Obesity, Medical Home, Postpartum Depression
- Clinical Practice:
- Asthma- Pediatric, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder- Pediatric, Anxiety Disorders in Children, Breastfeeding, Pediatric Psychiatry, Pediatric Primary Care
- Assistant Professor
Rebecca Abernathy, MD, received her B.S. degree from James Madison University in Virginia. She obtained her Doctor of Medicine degree from Virginia Commonwealth University, where she also completed her pediatric residency. She is board certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics. She has been an assistant professor at the University of Virginia since 2005. She takes care of pediatric patients through their college years. Her interest areas include discipline and behavior, ADHD, asthma and skin conditions.
Dr. Abernathy has five children and has enjoyed leading scouting activities with her son, developing spirituality in her children and participating in outdoors activities like hiking and gardening.
- 2005-2008, Reach out and Reach Trainer
- 2002-2005, Reach out and Read Coordinator
- 2007, AAP Award for obtaining >150 CME educational credits
- 2018, Ecotherapy Certificate Awarded August
- 2018, Certificate of Commitment to Faculty Development in Medical Education
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia, 1996
- Pediatrics, Virginia Commonwealth University