- ABMS Certification:
- American Board of Pediatrics
- Research Interests:
Smoking Cessation, Lyme Disease, Anaphylaxis/Asthma, Improving Immunization Rates, Obesity, Medical Home, Postpartum Depression
- Clinical Practice:
- Asthma- Pediatric, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder- Pediatric, Anxiety Disorders in Children, Breastfeeding, Pediatric Psychiatry, Pediatric Primary Care, By Your Side
- Assistant Professor
Rebecca Em Abernathy, MD, is a board-certified pediatrician and lactation consultant. She specializes in breastfeeding medicine; asthma; skin conditions; mental healthcare, including depression and anxiety; ADHD; refugee care; trauma recovery; adverse childhood experiences; and resiliency and care of children and adolescents who have complex medical needs.
As a physician with By Your Side Pediatrics, she provides home visits for children and adolescents with complex medical needs and serves as a consult to other physicians offering home visits to these patients in Charlottesville and surrounding areas. In addition, Dr. Abernathy cares for children and adolescents for well care and for acute illnesses, and she supports families in breastfeeding care at the UVA Breastfeeding Medicine Clinic.
She started working at UVA in 2005 after completing her medical school training and intern and residency training in pediatric and adolescent care at Virginia Commonwealth University. An assistant professor, Dr. Abernathy mentors medical students, interns and residents. The American Academy of Pediatrics has recognized her for excellence in continuing medical education. In 2018, she earned a certificate for Commitment to Faculty Development in Medical Education.
Dr. Abernathy is a leader in quality improvement projects for medical home certification, immunizations, asthma, social determinants of health, and post-partum depression. She is trauma-informed certified and earned a certificate as an Ecotherapy Coach.
Since 2017, she has served as a volunteer in Albemarle County as an elected board member for the School Health Advisory Board. Dr. Abernathy also served as a physician volunteer in Haiti. She is married and has five children and enjoys the beautiful outdoors we share in our community. She supports the local animal shelter as a foster and in rescuing animals.
- 2005-2008, Reach out and Read Trainer
- 2002-2005, Reach out and Read Coordinator
- 2007, AAP Award for obtaining >150 CME educational credits
- 2018, Ecotherapy Certificate Awarded August
- 2018, Certificate of Commitment to Faculty Development in Medical Education
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia, 1996
- Pediatrics, Virginia Commonwealth University