- ABMS Certification:
- Plastic Surgery, 1996
- Research Interests:
Vascular lesions, hyperbaric medicine and craniofacial anomalies
- Clinical Practice:
- Cleft Lip/Cleft Palate- Pediatric, Oral-Facial Clefts, Laceration Repair, Skin Graft, Breast Reduction, Breast Augmentation, Plastic Surgery, Pediatric Plastic Surgery
Director,The Aesthetic Center; Director, Laser Surgery; Co-Director, Hyperbaric Medicine Service
Thomas Gampper, MD, is a plastic surgeon specializing in treating children, including cleft lip and palate. He is the chair of the Department of Plastic and Maxillofacial Surgery, director of Laser Surgery and co-founder and director of the Virginia Aesthetic Center, which offers facial and body cosmetic procedures. He is also co-director of the hyperbaric medicine service at UVA.
Dr. Gampper attended the University of Kansas for his undergraduate and medical degrees. He completed his surgery residency at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, then came to UVA for fellowships in burn surgery and hand and microsurgery. He stayed on at UVA for a residency in plastic surgery and a fellowship in craniomaxillofacial surgery, and joined the faculty in 1994. He was appointed the Charles E. Horton Professor of International Plastic Surgery in 2014.
Since 1993, Dr. Gampper has directed the Virginia Children’s Connection, a nonprofit that sends local physicians to a rural area of India to treat children with cleft lip and palate and other debilitating conditions. He is also a member of Physicians for Peace, which trains providers of surgical care in developing countries, and has completed numerous international medical mission trips.
- 2019 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Honorable Mention, Plastic Surgery – Cosmetic
- 2015-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- University of Kansas, 1985
- General Surgery, University of Kansas; Plastic Surgery, University of Virginia
- Craniofacial Surgery, University of Virginia