James Q. Miller Multiple Sclerosis ClinicPrimary Care Center
1221 Lee St.
Charlottesville, VA 22903Directions
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Free parking is available at the Lee Street Garage. Valet parking is free of charge for those with disabilities.
- You will need to get your parking validated. To do so, take the parking ticket you receive when you enter the garage to the registration desk when you check in for your appointment.
Shuttle service: Runs every 30 minutes, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Find shuttle stop locations.
Note: Clinic registration is on the first floor.
The James Q Miller Multiple Sclerosis Clinic was established at the University of Virginia in 2000 by Dr. Miller who understood the complex needs of patients with multiple sclerosis. He championed the development of a subspecialty clinic devoted to their care by using a patient-centered approach. Our mission is to continue delivering high-quality, comprehensive care to patients with multiple sclerosis and related diseases.
We Help Patients:
- Develop a treatment plan
- Manage MS symptoms, including:
- Balance issues
- Neurogenic bladder
- Cognitive dysfunction
We Also Provide:
- Diagnosis and management for adult onset inflammatory diseases
- Second opinions regarding diagnosis and management
- Multidisciplinary clinic with physical and occupational therapy, social work and pharmacy services available
- Neuropsychologic evaluation
- Consultations with MS-certified pharmacist
- Injection training for interferons and glatiramer acetate
- First dose observation for fingolimod
- Opportunities to participate in clinical trials
- Botox clinic for spasticity management
After arriving at the UVA Primary Care Center, you will first visit Patient Registration on the first floor. You will then check in at the MS Clinic on the fourth floor. You will complete intake paperwork as you wait for your appointment.
Please arrive for your appointment at least 15 minutes in advance to allow for enough time for parking, registration and completion of any intake paperwork. Patients arriving more than 15 minutes late for an appointment may be rescheduled.
What to expect during your visit:
- A medical assistant will take your vital signs, review your medications and escort you into a clinic room
- You and your provider will discuss your medical history, your provider will perform a neurologic examination and then discuss their assessment and plan of care
- Our nurse coordinator will review your patient instructions and help you enroll in MyChart if needed
- At check out, you may schedule your follow-up appointment, imaging and appointments for specialty services. Please validate your parking
- You may then go to the laboratory on the first floor if needed
Contacting the Clinic between Appointments
Patients are able to connect with their care team by either phone or our patient portal, MyChart.
Our dedicated phone line is 434.924.5306 for any clinic needs. Phone calls are handled by our MS nurse coordinator and/or the patient’s provider during clinic hours. All after-hours emergency calls are first fielded by the on-call neurologist or neurology resident. Same day or week appointments are available for both pediatric and adult populations based on urgency of patient needs.
If you need a refill on a prescription you must have seen your MS provider within the past year in order for us to facilitate your medication refill request.
A tax-deductible gift to our clinic can help meet the needs of our patients and families in many ways as we continue to work toward our goal of being a top-10 MS program in the U.S.
Gifts are also used to improve access to our clinical and research services with additional staff and improvements to our facilities. When making a donation, please designate your gift to the James Q. Miller Multiple Sclerosis Clinic. Make a gift.
We're proud of the support we receive from groups including: