Caring for Children With Mental Health Problems
Our experienced psychiatrists provide comprehensive assessment, diagnosis and treatment for children and adolescents with emotional, behavioral and developmental disorders.
As one of the few hospitals in Virginia to offer outpatient services in child psychiatry, we care for children and families affected by a wide range of mental health problems, including:
- Anxiety disorders, OCD, and
- Adjustment issues (divorce, school problems)
- Behavior difficulties (oppositionality, aggression)
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Eating disorders
- Autism spectrum disorder
Pediatric Mental Health: Why Early Intervention Matters
Many mental health disorders begin in childhood; nearly one in five children has emotional or behavioral problems. If you suspect that your child is having difficulty with feelings of sadness, anxiety, anger or other behavioral problems, it’s important to have him or her evaluated and treated. Early intervention may allow your child to return to a normal developmental pathway and promotes social, behavioral, and educational achievements. This may also help your child develop better coping skills in adulthood.
Pediatric Psychiatry: A Leader in Virginia
Choose UVA because we offer a number of services for children with mental health problems, including:
- Family-Centered Care in an Outpatient Setting. Our team of experienced specialists provide individual, family and group therapy services through the Child and Family Psychiatry Clinic. We use the latest techniques and strategies in behavioral science, including play therapy, behavioral management, parent training, medications and neuropsychological testing.
- Expertise Beyond Central Virginia. Our Child and Adolescent Telepsychiatry Service provides comprehensive child psychiatric care—including 24/7 emergency on-call services—to patients in regions with limited access to quality mental health services. Our clinicians evaluate and treat patients who live miles away through “meetings” in front of a television screen or computer monitor.
- Child Psychiatric Consultations and Liaison Services. Our clinicians provide child psychiatric consultations to the UVA Medical Center’s pediatric units, offering diagnosis and treatment for children and families affected by a variety of mental health concerns, from traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder to depression, anxiety or behavioral problems.
- An Active Learning and Research Environment. As our patient, your child may have the opportunity to participate in clinical trials to test the effectiveness of new drugs for treating various mental health disorders. Recent studies have included testing treatments for ADHD, Tourette’s syndrome and bipolar disorders. Through this research, our doctors and fellows in training are learning more about these conditions and contributing to national treatment guidelines.