At the UVA Children's Hospital Heart Center, your child will receive comprehensive care using the most advanced diagnostic and surgical techniques available.
Our pediatric cardiologists, heart surgeons and nurse practitioners are trained to care for the unique heart problems of children.
We work with the adult care UVA Heart Center, a state-of-the-art treatment and research facility to treat our pediatric patients.
Experienced Pediatric Heart Care
Heart Conditions We Treat:
- Congenital or acquired heart disease
- Heart murmurs
- High blood pressure
- Heart rhythm disorders
- Heart failure
- Adults who've grown up with congenital heart defects
Our Children’s Hospital Heart Center Offers:
- The most comprehensive congenital heart center in Virginia
- The largest fetal heart program in Virginia, ensuring the best outcomes for high-risk infants
- The largest pediatric pulmonary hypertension clinic in Virginia
- The Cardiovascular Genetics Clinic that tests for risks of inherited heart or vascular disease
Pictures of the Heart: MRI
We have some of the latest techniques and newest technologies available for scanning the structure of your child's heart.
Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) offers your child several advantages:
- It doesn’t require surgery.
- It doesn’t use radiation.
- It gives a clearer, more detailed images than echocardiographies.
At UVA, we'll work with you before and after the scan to make sure you understand your child's results.
Heart Care at the Hospital and Beyond
Outreach for Young Heart Patients
Our telemedicine technology and field clinics extend our expert services to underserved areas. Our doctors provide long-distance consultations and read patient echocardiograms Culpeper and Winchester.
Fast Care for Your Child
Our goal is to provide cutting-edge technology and optimal patient care as quickly as possible. We see pediatric heart patients within one week of referral and offer same-day consults for newborn heart patients.
Follow-Up for Fragile Infants
Our Home Single Ventricle Surveillance Program allows a nurse specialist to closely follow babies with just a single heart ventricle when the babies are sent home before getting more surgical repair. The nurse checks in weekly with the infant's family, records the monitor readings and discusses any issues or concerns.