At UVA, our pediatric neurologists are highly skilled experts in the special needs of young people. Our faculty members are nationally recognized as leaders in the care of children. They're often listed among the “Best Doctors in America."
We have a long history of providing comprehensive, family-centered care to children with neurological disorders. We offer advanced care in a child-friendly environment with pediatric specialists, nurses, therapists, researchers and others who have the special skills required to care for children.
Our pediatric neurology team is equipped to respond to patient needs quickly, collaborating with referring physicians to ensure every patient receives individualized care.
Epilepsy at Six Months Old
Walker's mother and father share the experience of seeing UVA pediatric neurologists when their baby started having epileptic seizures. View Transcript.
Conditions We Treat
- Concussion and head injury
- Demyelinating disorders, including multiple sclerosis
- Developmental plateau or regression
- Epilepsy (seizures)
- Fetal neurology
- Congenital brain malformations
- Chiari malformation type 1
- Chiari malformation type 2
- Headaches, including migraines
- Movement disorders, including tremor and Tourette syndrome
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Neurocutaneous syndromes, including neurofibromatosis
- Neurometabolic and neurogenetic disorders, including tuberous sclerosis
- Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA)
How the Ketogenic Diet Works
Diana Gulotta, a registered dietitian with UVA Neurology’s Ketogenic Diet Therapy Program, explains how a ketogenic diet works and why it helps stop seizures.