When your child has a broken bone from soccer, needs a brace to straighten her spine, or requires physical therapy after joint surgery, you want to trust your growing child’s body to the experts.
Our pediatric orthopedic specialists provide care for a wide range of childhood and adolescent injuries, disorders, and diseases of the bones, muscles, and joints. We use research to discover new ways to treat children, while teaching the next generation of doctors.
Care That Grows With Your Child
We're dedicated to providing age-appropriate care that supports your child's growing body. Our pediatric orthopedic and musculoskeletal specialists partner with providers in our adult orthopedic services to provide targeted care for adolescents, such as treatment for ligament and cartilage damage and congenital foot and hand deformities.
Conditions We Treat
- Bone fractures
- Cerebral palsy
- Foot disorders
- Hip disorders
- Inflammatory conditions
- Injuries and deformities of the hand, arm or foot
- Infections or swelling in joints and bones
- Limb length inequality
- Spine injuries and disorders, like scoliosis
- Sports-related injuries, like little leaguer's elbow
- Congenital disorders and deformities, like brachial plexus palsy and trigger thumb
Using low-dose spinal imaging, 3D motion analysis, and other techniques, we can diagnosis your child early. This makes your child’s path to recovery as short and simple as possible.
Care for Spinal Deformities in Kids
We’re one of the few centers in Virginia to provide comprehensive care for pediatric spinal deformities caused by spinal cord injury, congenital malformation, neuromuscular conditions, and unknown causes. Our care includes:
- Surgery for spinal deformities
- Minimally invasive management, such as orthotic bracing
- Techniques and equipment that grows with your child
Prosthetic & Orthotic Services
When children have conditions that damage their ability to move, we can help with:
- Orthotics (braces and other support devices that improve the function of disabled body parts)
- Prosthetics (artificial limbs or other body parts)
We provide in-house prosthetic and orthotic services customized to your child's needs. We then partner with your family on long-term care plans that support your child as they grow.
Over the years, Savannah saw UVA doctors from many different disciplines. She's had over 20 surgeries, and there were times when doctors believed she'd never be able to walk. View Savannah's transcript.