Complex heart conditions can feel overwhelming. Even more so when it’s your kid. As a parent, you want a team you can count on.
We know kids who need new hearts have different physical and emotional needs than adults. At UVA, we have a team of experts ready to care for your child.
Pediatric Heart Transplant Experience
We performed our first pediatric heart transplant in 1991. Since 2013, we’ve provided new hearts to more than 53 children.
We’re nationally ranked by U.S. News and World Report in their 2020-2021 Best Children’s Hospitals guide for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery.
Expert Heart Center
We’re the only hospital in the state that performs childhood heart transplants. We provide pre- and post-transplant care in Charlottesville, Norfolk, and Winchester.
Our Children’s Heart Center offers:
- The most comprehensive congenital heart center in Virginia
- The largest pediatric pulmonary hypertension clinic in Virginia
- A genetics clinic that tests for inherited heart or vascular disease risks
- One of the most experienced programs in the region for kids with end-stage heart disease
We promise to:
- Help you and your child understand how and why we're doing a test or procedure
- Explain the follow-up process
- Collaborate with your referring physician
- Work with your child's school if needed
- Involve healthcare providers in your community
Dedicated Transplant Team
If your child has a heart transplant at UVA, you can count on a care team that includes:
- Pediatric heart transplant surgeons
- Pediatric cardiologists
- Pediatric anesthesiologists
- Pediatric intensivists (doctors who specialize in the care of patients in intensive care)
- Social workers
- Nurse practitioners
- Child life specialists
Heart Care That Grows with Your Child
- You will have instant access to specialty services throughout UVA.
- As your child grows into a young adult, they'll move seamlessly from UVA Children's to UVA Health's adult care programs, easing the stress and uncertainty of switching facilities and finding a new doctor.
- For families within a 25-mile radius of UVA, we offer a specialized home care program for children dealing with complex medical issues.