If your child needs a heart transplant, we’re the only hospital in the state:
- That performs pediatric heart transplants
- With a dedicated pediatric transplant cardiologist
- Offering ventricular assist devices (VADs) to children with severe, end-stage heart failure who are waiting for a transplant
Heart Transplant Experience
We performed our first pediatric heart transplant in 1991 and have provided over 30 children with new hearts.
Specialized Heart Transplant Care
Young people who need new hearts have different physical and emotional needs from adults. At UVA, our medical professionals are experts in pediatric heart transplant.
If your child has a heart transplant at UVA, you can count on a coordinated care team that includes:
- Pediatric heart transplant surgeons
- Pediatric cardiologists
- Pediatric anesthesiologists
- Pediatric intensivists (doctors who specialize in the care of patients in intensive care)
- Social workers
- Nurse practitioners
- Child life specialists
UVA is a pioneer in the use of left ventricular assist devices (LVAD).
This pump restores blood flow circulation from the heart to the rest of the body. For children waiting for a new heart, an LVAD can play a key role until a heart is available.
Read more about heart transplants and what to expect.