Hospital Education Program
Our Hospital Education Program (HEP) is a state-operated program and partnership between the Children's Hospital, Charlottesville City Schools and the Virginia Department of Education.
- Inpatient services for children (0-21 years of age), beginning the first day of admission
- Access for children who are seen in our outpatient clinics for extended periods of time. Four of HEP consultants serve numerous outpatient children and provide a vital link between our clinics and your child's school.
Our staff includes:
- 13 Master’s level educators
- A media specialist
- An art therapist
Goals of the Program
The Hospital Education Program aims to:
- Function as a school within the Children’s Hospital
- Promote normalcy by focusing on the healthy aspects of a child’s everyday life — school, play and special events
- Help students apply for special education if they're suspected of having a disability
- Encourage creative expression by offering art therapy
- Serve as a liaison between the Children’s Hospital and children's home schools, working with more than 110 local school divisions across Virginia
Contact the Hospital Education team.