Children with developmental disorders, traumatic brain injury or deformities of the oral structures and throat may have difficulties learning to communicate or problems with swallowing and eating.
Our speech-language pathologists are part of the UVA Craniofacial Clinic team, a group that involves doctors from specialties like dentistry, head and neck surgery, eye and neurosurgery.
We evaluate and treat children with a wide range of communication and feeding disorders, including:
- Articulation delays and disorders
- Cleft palate and cleft lip
- Hearing loss
- Speech delays or disorders
- Stuttering and other speech fluency disorders
- Tongue thrust
- Swallowing and feeding disorders
- Voice disorders
- Written language disorders
We offer several advanced diagnostic tests to determine if patients have the muscle control and oral motor skills necessary to swallow.