Camps are a great summer activity for children. But sometimes kids with diabetes need more support than the average camp can offer. There are options that are designed especially for kids with diabetes and other special needs.
When choosing a camp, make sure to:
- Decide what you and your child want from the experience
- Call camps to find out about their program
- Find out the availability of doctors and nurses (on site or close by)
- Ask about scholarships
- Call soon because camps fill up quickly
Camps to Consider
- Camp Holiday Trails, Charlottesville, Virginia; includes children with a variety of medical issues
- Camp Kno-Koma, Charleston, West Virginia
- Lions Camp Merrick, La Plata, Maryland; just for children with diabetes; also offers some family programs
- Victory Junction, Greensboro, North Carolina; ages: 7-15 years
Note: UVA is not affiliated with any of these camps.