If your child has been diagnosed with a serious illness, you might not know where to turn for help. As hospital stays become more frequent and you struggle to manage symptoms, you might not know where to turn. The pediatric palliative care team can help to provide care that improves the quality of life for your child and your whole family.
Palliative care for kids focuses on relieving pain and helping navigate other symptoms. This helps make life quality better. Palliative services can help kids of any age and at any stage of serious illness. Whether your child is at home or in the hospital. Palliative care can also occur along with other treatment plans.
Palliative Care Services
Our team can guide you in determining goals of care and making medical decisions that fit your values, traditions, and culture. We work to improve communication and coordinate care.
- Care planning
- Pain and symptom management
- Emotional and spiritual support
- Care to improve quality of life for your child and family
- An extra support system during a difficult time
Who Can Receive Care?
It’s never too early to use palliative care. It can take place at the same time as other treatments for your child’s illness.
- Has your child been diagnosed with a life-threatening or life-limiting illness?
- Are you pregnant with a baby who has been diagnosed with a life-limiting defect or syndrome?
- Has there been a decline in your child’s medical condition?
- Are your child’s hospital stays becoming more frequent?
- Are your child’s pain and associated symptoms becoming difficult to manage?
To request a consult or to speak with pediatric palliative care, ask your doctor or nurse to make a referral.
OR Call 434.924.0000, PIC #1244.