Pediatric Heart Center
UVA Children's Hospital Heart Center is nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report. Here, your child will receive comprehensive care using the most advanced diagnostic and surgical techniques available. We see pediatric heart patients within one week of referral and offer same-day consults for newborn heart patients.
Our pediatric cardiologists, heart surgeons and nurse practitioners are trained to care for your child's unique heart problem. We work with the adult care Heart and Vascular Center, a state-of-the-art treatment and research facility to treat our pediatric patients.
Experienced Pediatric Heart Care
Our Children’s Hospital Heart Center offers:
- The most comprehensive congenital heart center in Virginia
- The largest fetal heart program in Virginia, ensuring the best outcomes for high-risk infants
- The largest pediatric pulmonary hypertension clinic in Virginia
- The Cardiovascular Genetics Clinic that tests for risks of inherited heart or vascular disease
A Family-Centered Approach
We encourage parents and family members to serve as active participants in the care of children with critical heart disease. We understand that this can be a stressful time.
We promise to:
- Help parents and children understand how and why we're doing a test or procedure
- Explain the follow-up process
- Work with the child's school if needed
- Involve healthcare providers in the child's community.
We're committed to providing the most comprehensive care possible.
- We collaborate with your referring physician.
- We offer one of the most experienced programs in the region for children with end-stage pediatric heart disease.
- Our patients have instant access to specialty services throughout UVA.
- As children grow into young adults, they'll transition seamlessly from UVA Children's Hospital to UVA Health System's adult care programs, eliminating the stress and uncertainty of switching care facilities and finding a new doctor. Continuity of care is crucial with congenital heart disease and transplant patients.
- For families within a 25-mile radius of UVA Children's Hospital, UVA offers , a home care program offering specialized in-home care for children dealing with complex medical issues.
Pediatric Heart Transplant
There's been remarkable progress in the surgical and medical treatment of pediatric heart failure over the last 35 years. At UVA, we have the longest running pediatric heart transplant program in the region.
Our heart failure and heart transplant team looks for ways to postpone or eliminate the need for a transplant. But if your child does need one, we’re the only hospital in the state that performs pediatric heart transplants and offers ventricular assist devices (VADs) to children with severe heart failure while they wait for a.
Find out more about our pediatric heart transplant program.
Heart Care at the Hospital and Beyond
Outreach For Heart Patients
Our telemedicine technology and field clinics extend our services to underserved areas. Our doctors provide long-distance consultations and read patient echocardiograms in Culpeper and Winchester.
Get more information about our telehealth services.
Follow-Up for Fragile Infants
Our Home Single Ventricle Surveillance Program allows a nurse specialist to closely follow babies with a single heart ventricle when the babies are sent home before getting more surgical repair. The nurse checks in weekly with the infant's family, records the monitor readings and discusses any issues or concerns.