At UVA Children's Hospital Heart Center, your child will receive comprehensive care using the most advanced diagnostic and surgical techniques available. We see pediatric heart patients within one week of referral and offer same-day consults for newborn heart patients.
Our pediatric cardiologists, heart surgeons and nurse practitioners are trained to care for your child's unique heart problem. We work with the adult care Heart and Vascular Center, a state-of-the-art treatment and research facility, to treat our pediatric patients.
UVA Children's Hospital Heart Center is nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report.
Experienced Pediatric Heart Care
Our Children’s Hospital Heart Center offers:
- The most comprehensive congenital heart center in Virginia
- The largest fetal heart program in Virginia, ensuring the best outcomes for high-risk infants
- The largest pediatric pulmonary hypertension clinic in Virginia
- The Cardiovascular Genetics Clinic that tests for risks of inherited heart or vascular disease
A Family-Centered Approach
We encourage parents and family members to serve as active participants in the care of children with critical heart disease. We understand that this can be a stressful time.
We promise to:
- Help parents and children understand how and why we're doing a test or procedure
- Explain the follow-up process
- Work with the child's school if needed
- Involve healthcare providers in the child's community
We're committed to providing the most comprehensive care possible:
- We collaborate with your referring physician.
- We offer one of the most experienced programs in the region for children with end-stage pediatric heart disease.
- Our patients have instant access to specialty services throughout UVA.
- As children grow into young adults, they'll transition seamlessly from UVA Children's Hospital to UVA Health System's adult care programs, eliminating the stress and uncertainty of switching care facilities and finding a new doctor. Continuity of care is crucial with congenital heart disease and transplant patients.
Choosing UVA for Penn's Heart
Penn's heart wasn't fully developed when she was born. But, today, it's a normal size. Penn's parents chose UVA because her sister, Scout, had also been treated here for a heart condition. Watch Penn's mom, Jen, talk about the condition and treatment, and their decision to come back to UVA. View Penn's heart transcript.
Heart Care at the Hospital & Beyond
Outreach for Heart Patients
Our telemedicine technology and field clinics extend our services to underserved areas. Our doctors provide long-distance consultations and read patient echocardiograms in Culpeper and Winchester.
Get more information about our telehealth services.
Follow-up for Fragile Patients
Our Home Single Ventricle Surveillance Program allows a nurse specialist to closely follow babies with a single heart ventricle when they return home before getting more surgical repair. The nurse checks in weekly with your family, records the monitor readings and discusses any issues or concerns.
Transplant Leaders in Virginia
We’re the only hospital in Virginia that performs pediatric heart transplants. We also give ventricular assist devices (VADs) to children waiting for a new heart.