At UVA Children's Heart Center, your child will receive comprehensive care using the most advanced diagnostic and surgical techniques available. We see pediatric heart patients within one week of referral and offer same-day consults for newborn heart patients.
Our pediatric cardiologists, heart surgeons, and nurse practitioners are trained to care for your child's unique heart problem. We work with the adult care Heart and Vascular Center, a state-of-the-art treatment and research facility, to treat our pediatric patients.
UVA Children's Heart Center is nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report.
Experienced Pediatric Heart Care
Our Children’s Heart Center offers:
- The best outcomes for high-risk infants needing infant heart surgery for congenital heart defects
- The largest fetal heart program in Virginia
- The largest pediatric pulmonary hypertension clinic in Virginia
- The Cardiovascular Genetics Clinic that tests for risks of inherited heart or vascular disease
Nationally Ranked Heart Care
U.S. News & World Report has ranked the Virginia Congenital Cardiac Collaborative, UVA Children’s pediatric cardiology and heart surgery partnership with Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters, one of the best in the entire country. UVA Children’s is a founding partner of the collaborative and is home to an experienced team and superior outcomes for the most complex pediatric heart conditions, meaning no family ever needs to leave the state of Virginia for world-class care.
We encourage parents and family members to serve as active participants in the care of children with critical heart disease. We understand that this can be a stressful time.
We promise to:
- Help parents and children understand how and why we're doing a test or procedure
- Explain the follow-up process
- Work with the child's school if needed
- Involve healthcare providers in the child's community
We're committed to providing the most comprehensive care possible:
- We collaborate with your referring physician.
- We offer one of the most experienced programs in the region for children with end-stage pediatric heart disease.
- Our patients have instant access to specialty services throughout UVA.
- Through By Your Side, we can provide specialized care for children with complex medical issues both in the clinic and at home.
- As children grow into young adults, they'll transition seamlessly from UVA Children's to UVA Health's adult care programs, eliminating the stress and uncertainty of switching care facilities and finding a new doctor. Continuity of care is crucial with congenital heart disease and transplant patients
Transplant Leaders in Virginia
We’re the only hospital in Virginia that performs pediatric heart transplants. We also give ventricular assist devices (VADs) to children waiting for a new heart.
Heart Care at the Hospital & Beyond
Outreach for Heart Patients
Our telemedicine technology and field clinics extend our services to underserved areas. Our doctors provide long-distance consultations and read patient echocardiograms in Culpeper and Winchester.
Get more information about our telehealth services.
Follow-up for Fragile Patients
Our Home Single Ventricle Surveillance Program allows a nurse specialist to closely follow babies with a single heart ventricle when they return home before getting more surgical repair. The nurse checks in weekly with your family, records the monitor readings and discusses any issues or concerns.
Better Access to the Best Care
At UVA Children's, we've teamed up with Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU and Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters, working together to offer the best care for children needing heart surgery in central Virginia and beyond.
This partnership means your child will receive surgery from the best surgeon at the best hospital to meet their individual needs, while staying as close to home as possible for surgery and follow-up care. Your family will also benefit from the combined knowledge and expertise of these two award-winning teams.