You’re looking forward to giving birth and meeting your new baby. Or you just welcomed your new child into the world. But you’ve also found out your baby has a heart condition. That brings worries and questions about what to do. Facing infant heart surgery was not part of the plan.
At UVA Children's, we’re with you and your baby every step of the way. We offer the largest newborn heart program in Virginia. Your baby will get treated by top experts in congenital heart defects at the #1 children's hospital in Virginia.
Infant Heart Surgery at UVA Children's
When choosing your baby's care, you'll want to find experts you can trust. At UVA Children's, we have:
- Survival outcomes that go beyond the national and regional averages - see our success rates
- New techniques not available everywhere
- Compassionate, trained specialists with decades of experience
- Advanced technology and tools, right-sized for the tiniest babies
Congenital Heart Defect Care You Can Trust
At UVA Children's, we’re with you from diagnosis to care in our NICU and beyond. You won't find more support anywhere else. View CHD transcript.
As a patient at UVA, your baby has a full team of specialists committed to their lifelong well-being.
This expertise stays with you through all stages of your child's care:
- During pregnancy - accurate diagnosis using fetal echocardiogram
- At birth - nationally ranked care in our NICU
- As your baby grows - integrated care from specialists and pediatricians, plus home monitoring
- When your child grows up - lifetime care at our Adult Congenital Heart Disease Clinic
If Your Baby Needs a Heart Transplant
Some conditions get to the point where your child needs a new heart. You're in good hands. We’re the only hospital in the state that does childhood heart transplants.
Better Care Closer to Home
At UVA Children's, we're partnering with Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU to provide the best care for children needing heart surgery in central Virginia and beyond. Read the press release.
Nationally Ranked Heart Care for Children
U.S. News & World Report has ranked our pediatric cardiology and heart surgery program one of the best in the country. We treat the most complex heart conditions with world-class care you can't find just anywhere.